Nancy Weil, founder of The Laugh Academy, just turned 50. In honor of reaching the Big 5-0, she wrote this thought-provoking list of her 50 Truths of Life. It’s got some good insights on living and dying. Enjoy!
1. A pedicure in winter is the best, especially because it is your own private treat.
2. If you eat whatever you want and you do not go to the gym, you will gain weight. I have tested this theory a million times and I always get the same results.
3. Laughing each day is the best way to keep moving forward.
4. Weight training takes a long time to see results. Muscles hide under all of the fat and don’t emerge until long after I have given up on trying to see them.
5. Most exercises make us look awkward and ungraceful.
6. When we were kids exercise was just called playing.
7. There are recipe follower and there are cooks. I am a recipe follower.
8. It takes days to put on pounds, but weeks to take them back off.
ODDS and ENDS (MOSTLY ODDS)
9. Build in 15 minutes for getting lost…
10. And don’t trust your GPS to get you there.
11. Some jokes just are not funny. It is not in the delivery, but in the message.
12. Honor your stupidity daily. Learn something new each and every day.
13. Admit when you don’t know something.
14. Don’t trust the internet to give you correct information.
15. Work is not really work if you love what you are doing.
16. Time falls away when engaged in activities that are your passion.
17. Time drags when forced into sitting through something you hate. Avoid these moments by saying, “no” to invitations if you don’t want to go.
18. Friends you think are forever, may not be. .. and people you barely know may become your best friend at your time of need.
19. Do more for your friends than they do for you.
20. Make time for friends or you won’t have any.
21. Phone calls are not a substitute for in person get togethers, neither is skype….or a Facebook message…or a text, but all of these will work between visits.
22. Geography is not a factor in friendships. Love travels across state lines…and across time…always and forever.
23. People continue to teach you lessons even after they are gone.
24. Memories sneak up at the strangest of times and sometimes leave you crying, but often leave me laughing. We remember the good times, far more often than the bad.
25. Never use words to hurt someone. They will never forget what you have said and how you said it.
26. Scars on the soul take longer to heal than those on the skin.
27. Only say, “I’m sorry” if you mean it…otherwise you just sound condescending.
28. Words chosen carefully can convey a powerful message.
29. Say “hello” to everyone you encounter and share a smile.
30. People disappoint you only if you have expectations.
31. Unconditional love means appreciating every aspect of that person.
32. Self-care is not self-ish. Caring for others can only happen once you learn to care for yourself.
33. Set dreams higher than you can imagine and then watch as you achieve more than even that.
34. Never compromise on your dreams. They are yours to imagine and no one can take them away from you…unless you let them.
35. Dreams do come true and miracles happen every day.
36. Wish upon stars, when going under a bridge with a train on it and when you blow out your candles.
37. Tell everyone your wish and let them help you make it come true.
38. Don’t waste wishes on other people…you cannot wish for others, as they must find their own.
39. Never doubt the power of a simple prayer.
40. Always say a prayer when you hear a siren for the people who are serving on the ambulance, fire truck or police car or pray for those they serve.
41. Always be “terrific” or “incredible”. “Good” days or “fine” days are a waste of precious time.
42. Go ahead and spend time doing nothing. Just don’t do this too often or for too long.
43. Achievements do not come from lack of effort and the law of attraction is a law of action. So take some time to rest and restore, then get back to work.
44. “I don’t care” is a waste of words. Care, care deeply and passionately about something or someone or, even better, care about yourself.
45. If you want to be greeted enthusiastically with great love when you come home, get a dog. People are too wrapped up in what they are doing to notice and cats only care if their food bowl is empty.
46. Brussel sprouts are for bunnies, not people.
47. Turtles eat smelt so people don’t have to.
48. Pet snakes are able to hide in walls for months at a time.
49. Our pets lives are so short, yet they teach us so much in the time they are with us.
50. Cats will always hack up a fur ball on the carpet…even when the bare floor is a few inches away.
In honor of my special day, go out and make someone laugh, share a smile, offer a hug and extend a helping hand. A very happy un-birthday to you!