Love and death – common themes in all great art. With spring officially underway, thoughts turn from hibernating in the dark of winter to getting out in the light of days that last progressively longer.
In addition to the information you’ll find in my forthcoming book, A Good Goodbye: Funeral Planning for Those Who Don’t Plan to Die, you may find my first book to be of interest.
A Girl’s Pocket Guide to Trouser Trout: Reflections on Dating and Fly-Fishing won ForeWord Magazine’s Book of the Year Award, taking Bronze in the Humor category. If men were fish and women the anglers, it’s your how-to guide to land a good catch. The book illuminates the murky waters of the dating pool with insights inspired by fly-fishing techniques and advice.
It’s remarkable how much good dating advice can be found in fishing lore. Here are some tips to successfully fish for men this spring.
- The trout hunts by sight. Men and fish are attracted by visually stimulating lures. Look your best, and wear eye-catching accessories that start conversations, such as unique jewelry or outrageous cowboy boots.
- Live bait works well. Walking your dog or exotic pet provide great opportunities to connect with fellow animal lovers (cats, however, generally don’t cooperate).
- Match the hatch. If you want to attract a classy guy, be a classy gal. Dress and act the way your quarry does.
- Fish quality streams. Unless a river runs through it, get out of your house. Participate in community events and pursue your own interests in settings where you can meet new people.
- Drop expectations. Desperation drives the good ones away. Go fishing with the intent to pursue an excellent adventure for the day. As ordinary anglers do, don’t be discouraged if you don’t immediately hook The Big One.
How can you tell if the man you’ve got on the line is a keeper? Take the quiz at www.TrouserTrout.net. The site includes a glossary of terms on fishing for men and a link to purchase the book at a discount. If he’s not a keeper, let him off the line without mangling his heart. Being kind helps improve the overall stock in the dating pool.