The End-of-Life Care in New Mexico one-day symposium will bring together healthcare professionals to expand their knowledge and support them with information around options on end-of-life care and practices, including aid in dying in New Mexico. The event is sponsored by Compassion & Choices.
The symposium will be held on Saturday, June 6, 2015 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (MDT) in Albuquerque at UNM’s Continuing Education Building, 1634 University Blvd. NE.
By by the end of the symposium, participants will be able to:
- Articulate and apply a team approach to patient-centered management of end-of-life care.
- Apply the Clinical Practice Guidelines for Physician Aid in Dying to clinical practice.
- Identify core legal/ethical issues around end-of-life care and apply to medical practice.
- Identify potential implementation challenges and address solutions.
The event costs $49 and online registration closes at noon on Friday. Register here. For more information, contact Erin Marshall, firstname.lastname@example.org.
8-8:30 am Registration, Networking, and Breakfast
8:30-10:30 am Opening Plenary Sessions including:
- Welcoming Statements presented by Erin Marshall, Compassion & Choices
- Choice at the End of Life: A Review of the Past, Present and Future presented by Dr. Peter Reagan
- The Montana Experience presented by Dr. Eric Kress
- NMSU Dean’s Conference on End of Life presented by Kimberly Hill, New Mexico State University
10:30-10:40 am Break
10:40-11:25 am Workshops
- MOST Implementation presented by Lorrie Griego
- Ethical/Legal Considerations for End of Life Care, including Aid-in-Dying presented by Laura Schauer Ives JD, and Anne O’Neil PhD MSN
- Voluntary Stopping Eating and Drinking (VSED) presented by Dr. Peter Reagan
- Having “The Conversation” presented by Jan Wilson and Linda Waite-Simpson
11:25-11:35 am Break
11:35 am-12:20 pm Workshops (repeated)
12:20-12:30 pm Break
12:30-2 pm Lunch and Keynote Speakers – Aid in Dying including:
- Experience in Oregon presented by Ann Jackson, former CEO of the Oregon Hospice Association
- Status in New Mexico presented by Laura Schauer Ives, JD
2:00-3:30 pm Aid in Dying Breakout Sessions
- Aid in Dying Clinical Practice Guidelines for Physicians presented by Dr. Peter Reagan
- Pharmacy Guidelines presented by Joe Schnabel, PhamaD
- Expanding the Role of Hospice presented by Matt Whitaker (Oregon) & Dr. Eric Kress (Montana)
3:40-4:55 pm Panel Q&A
featuring Laura Schauer Ives, Peter Reagan, Eric Kress, Joe Schnabel, Matt Whitaker, Lorrie Griego, Anne O’Neil, and Ann Jackson
4:55-5 pm Closing Remarks presented by Erin Marshall
Accreditation Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the New Mexico Medical Society (NMMS) through the joint providership of Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services (RMCHCS) and Compassion & Choices New Mexico. RMCHCS is accredited by the NMMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Statement: RMCHCS designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.