Did you know Jewish burial is naturally green burial? And New Mexico now has a green burial ground for those who want to return to the earth as naturally as possible. This panel discussion answers questions about green burial and Jewish funeral traditions.
This panel discussion, part of the inaugural Before I Die ABQ Festival, took place at the Jewish Community Center in Albuquerque and was sponsored by the Jewish Federation of New Mexico. The event was recorded October 24, 2017. The panel participants, seated left to right, are:
- Rabbi Arthur Flicker, Albuquerque community chaplain
- Donal Key, La Puerta Natural Burial Ground
- Emet Ma’ayan, Fathers Building Futures
- The panel moderator is Gail Rubin, Certified Thanatologist, speaker, author, and coordinator of the Before I Die ABQ Festival (www.AGoodGoodbye.com). She is also a member of the Chevrah Kaddisha, Jewish volunteers who wash and dress bodies for burial.
For more information about Jewish funeral and burial traditions, check out these posts at The Family Plot Blog:
After the panel discussion, a team of Chevrah Kaddisha volunteers provided a demonstration of the tahara ritual of washing and dressing the body. Watch this 45 minute video for a glimpse behind-the-scenes. The participants are: Gail Rubin, coordinator of the Before I Die ABQ Festival (in black jacket), Libby Hopkins (in magenta sweater), and Charna Lefton (in striped shirt).
Many thanks to the sponsors of the Before I Die ABQ Festival:
- A Good Goodbye, funeral planning for those who don’t plan to die;
- French Funerals & Cremations, Albuquerque’s largest and oldest family-owned funeral service company;
- The Neptune Society, America’s most trusted cremation service;
- Lasting Legacy, Inc., providing Estate and Trust services to New Mexico families;
- Express Legal Solutions, LLC, documents you need at a price you can afford;
- Retirement Extender®, a team of specialists making the most of your finances;
- Morris Hall, PLLC, a premier estate planning law firm;
- LifeIZShort.com, publishers of practical guides for dealing with the inevitable by Peter Callan;
- The Old Pine Box, specializing in pine and cedar coffins and caskets, and specialty urns;
- My Final Checklist, a master file for personal information;
- Zia Trust, Inc., serving clients in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and 38 other states;
- 1-800-AUTOPSY, a thanatology specialty service company.