Tuesday, October 24, the fifth day of the inaugural Before I Die ABQ Festival, features an Albuquerque Death Cafe, a tour of the Office of the Medical Investigator laboratories, and a panel discussion on Jewish and green burial.
9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – Death Café discussion at the North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center, 7521 Carmel Ave. NE, Albuquerque. Come discuss what’s on your heart or mind about mortality issues. Free event.
3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Tour of the Office of the Medical Investigator laboratories, where New Mexico’s true life CSI teams help provide the answers about deaths in our state. Free event, limited to 30 people by online registration only.
6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – “Jewish Burial Equals Green Burial.” Get your questions about green burial and Jewish funeral traditions answered at this special event hosted by the Jewish Federation of New Mexico at the Jewish Community Center, 5520 Wyoming Blvd. NE, Albuquerque. Speakers will address green burial in New Mexico, kosher caskets, shroud burial, and why Jewish funeral traditions are eco-friendly. There will also be a demonstration of the tahara ritual by the Chevra Kaddisha. Refreshments will be provided at this free event.
Here are other great upcoming activities in the Before I Die ABQ Festival:
- Panel discussion and presentation on financial and legal issues related to end-of-life;
- Presentation on “Money and Taxes Around an Uncertain Life Expectancy”;
- A closing celebration with a funny funeral film and beer.
Use this map to find all festival events:
The Before I Die ABQ Festival is made possible by these sponsors:
- A Good Goodbye, funeral planning for those who don’t plan to die;
- French Funerals & Cremations, Albuquerque’s largest and oldest family-owned funeral service company;
- The Neptune Society, America’s most trusted cremation service;
- Lasting Legacy, Inc., providing estate and trust services to New Mexico families;
- Express Legal Solutions, LLC, offering “documents you need at a price you can afford;”
- Retirement Extender®, a team of specialists making the most of your finances;
- Morris Hall, PLLC, a premier estate planning law firm;
- LifeIZShort.com, practical guides for dealing with the inevitable by Peter Callan;
- The Old Pine Box, specializing in pine and cedar coffins and caskets, and specialty urns;
- My Final Checklist, a master file for personal information;
- Zia Trust, Inc., serving clients in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and 38 other states;
- 1-800-AUTOPSY, a thanatology specialty service company.