Monday, October 23, the fourth day of the inaugural Before I Die ABQ Festival, features a meditation session on mortality, a tour of a casket building workshop, a Death Cafe discussion, and an information session on cremation.
9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – “Mindfulness, Mortality and Self-Care” with Ralph Steele, founder of Life Transition Meditation Center in Santa Fe, and the Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Hospice Training Program at Northern New Mexico Community College. He will sign his book, Tending the Fire. Event Location: Cooper Art Studio, 130 Quincy NE. Donations welcome.
Noon – Lunch and tour of the casket building workshop of Fathers Building Futures, a nonprofit that provides jobs and skills to previously incarcerated parents. Location: 4301 4th Street NW, Albuquerque. Free event.
2:30 to 4:30 p.m. – Death Café discussion at the North Valley Senior Center, 3825 4th Street NW (two blocks north of Candelaria), Albuquerque. Come discuss what’s on your heart or mind about mortality issues. Free event.
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. – “Answers to Your Burning Questions on Cremation” with Ken Gonzales from The Neptune Society and Gail Rubin with A Good Goodbye presenting comedy film clips about cremation at Rio Bravo Brewery, 1912 2nd Street NW, Albuquerque. Free event.
Here are other great upcoming activities in the Before I Die ABQ Festival:
- A tour of the Office of the Medical Investigator (OMI);
- “Jewish Burial Equals Green Burial” at the Jewish Community Center;
- Another Death Cafe discussion at North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center;
- Panel discussion and presentation on financial and legal issues related to end-of-life;
- A closing celebration with a funny funeral film and beer.
Use this map to find all festival events:
The Before I Die ABQ Festival is made possible by these sponsors:
- A Good Goodbye, funeral planning for those who don’t plan to die;
- French Funerals & Cremations, Albuquerque’s largest and oldest family-owned funeral service company;
- The Neptune Society, America’s most trusted cremation service;
- Lasting Legacy, Inc., providing estate and trust services to New Mexico families;
- Express Legal Solutions, LLC, offering “documents you need at a price you can afford;”
- Retirement Extender®, a team of specialists making the most of your finances;
- Morris Hall, PLLC, a premier estate planning law firm;
- LifeIZShort.com, practical guides for dealing with the inevitable by Peter Callan;
- The Old Pine Box, specializing in pine and cedar coffins and caskets, and specialty urns;
- My Final Checklist, a master file for personal information;
- Zia Trust, Inc., serving clients in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and 38 other states;
- 1-800-AUTOPSY, a thanatology specialty service company.