How do we make the most of this lifetime, even while staying aware of our inevitable mortality? What’s the best way to make sure the medical care we get is the care we want? When attitude is everything, what does it take to face a serious diagnosis and continue living? “How to Live Well Until We Die (Part 2)” addresses these issues.
This hour-long panel discussion, part of the inaugural Before I Die ABQ Festival, answers some tough questions with humor, warmth, and wisdom. The panelists, from left to right are:
- Dr. Aroop Mangalik, retired oncologist and author of “Dealing with Doctors, Denial, and Death”;
- Shelley Drake, a death educator living with cancer;
- Stacy Sacco, lecturer and Director of the Small Business Institute at the University of New Mexico Anderson School of Management and a TEDxABQ speaker;
- The moderator is Gail Rubin, CT, death educator and coordinator of the Before I Die ABQ Festival.
This panel discussion was held in partnership with the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of New Mexico as part of the inaugural Before I Die ABQ Festival. Recorded on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
In “How To Live Well Until We Die (Part 1),” three other panelists discuss questions about how modern medicine can extend your life, as well as extend your dying. You can control the extent of medical interventions by writing out your advance healthcare directives, naming a healthcare power of attorney, and knowing your options when end-of-life issues arise. View this panel discussion here.
Many thanks to the sponsors of the Before I Die ABQ Festival:
- A Good Goodbye, funeral planning for those who don’t plan to die;
- French Funerals & Cremations, Albuquerque’s largest and oldest family-owned funeral service company;
- The Neptune Society, America’s most trusted cremation service;
- Lasting Legacy, Inc., providing Estate and Trust services to New Mexico families;
- Express Legal Solutions, LLC, documents you need at a price you can afford;
- Retirement Extender®, a team of specialists making the most of your finances;
- Morris Hall, PLLC, a premier estate planning law firm;
- LifeIZShort.com, publishers of practical guides for dealing with the inevitable by Peter Callan;
- The Old Pine Box, specializing in pine and cedar coffins and caskets, and specialty urns;
- My Final Checklist, a master file for personal information;
- Zia Trust, Inc., serving clients in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and 38 other states;
- 1-800-AUTOPSY, a thanatology specialty service company.